Musings
Tuesday, May 04, 2004
 
We did it. We bought a house.

It feels weird. I think it's anticlimactic, on some levels, because we were already living here. We didn't do that whole standing in the middle of the room, surrounded by cardboard boxes, gazing lovingly at each other with arms wrapped around the waist of our cute, perfect flannel "moving" shirts that you see in commercials for Century 21.

We signed about 5,757 papers, drove home, and Reid carried me over the threshold.

Then, life went on.

Having our own house is something I've dreamed about since Reid and I were first married. My husband, who I swear has at least 3/4 gypsy blood....well, not so much. He gets the urge to pack up everything we own and relocate about once every six months. It'll be interesting to see how he scratches that particular itch when it comes up next time.

Someone mentioned today that between Reid and I, our combined creativity makes their brain itch. As I think about, we *are* pretty darned creative. Reid's is of the musical and written variety, and mine is of the written/verbal and artistic variety.

Reid pitched a fabulous idea to the promotions department of the TV station where he's a sports anchor. This is the last week of the long-running TV show "Friends", and Reid suggested that all the anchors (himself included) be filmed frolicking in the local university fountain, a la the "Friends" opening.

That, my friends, is a "money" concept. I'm envious, and I pitch concepts for a living.

Speaking of my job.....some days, it just hops up and down on my last nerve. I really enjoy parts of it. I like the challenge of coming up with a clever way to make carpeting sound interesting. I like pitch meetings, and brainstorming sessions where everyone eventually gets silly. I love to write, and it doesn't much feel like work to me when I'm allowed to do that.

It's days like today, filled with meetings and hour-long conference calls, that I find mundane and boring. I realize that mundane and boring is a large part of most people's work life. I have no right to bitch, because at least I get to break up the mundane and boring with some creativity. Still and all, some days it's harder than others to paste a smile on and sit in a conference room chair for so long my butt-print is surely molded there for posterity. Meetings are the exact opposite of creative. They suck all the creative energy out of a room.




Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger