Musings
Friday, July 30, 2004
A Stronger America
I heard a Republican "pundit" on CNN say "I'd rather have a decisive President like George Bush, who sticks to his decisions even when he knows they're wrong."
WTF?
To me, a clear sign of intelligence is questioning the status quo, and a clear sign of a good leader is the ability to change your position on an issue when further information, research, or exploration shows you that you're wrong. It takes much more of a man, and a leader, to admit he's wrong and try to change something and make it right, than it does to spout John Wayne-esque tough words and cling stubbornly to your mistakes.
I was listening to Kerry's speech at the DNC, and I was thinking "How can ANYBODY who hears this be AGAINST what he's saying?" He says we should have an America we can be proud of, one that's respected, not feared. He says that we should try to restore the worldwide goodwill we had post-9/11. He says we should work harder at taking care of our own poor, and our own who need reliable healthcare access, rather than trying to recreate "democracy" in Iraq. He says we need to add more policemen and firemen on our own streets to help us be safer in this new world, instead of giving huge tax cuts to the wealthy and cutting funding to police and fire agencies here at home. He says he will look a parent in the eye and say "I did EVERYTHING I COULD to try to avoid sending your son/daughter into this war, but this is the ONLY option."....and mean it.
How can anybody be against those things? It's like Bill Clinton said in his speech...the Right Wing NEEDS a country divided. They don't WANT a united country, or people who want the same goals. It makes it harder for them to pass whatever legislation they or their special interests want passed. They rule through fear, not through hope. After all, don't we ALL ultimately want the same things for our country? Peace, safety, a safe place to raise our children, healthcare for our sick and our elderly, the opportunity to get ahead through hard work (not just through who you know)? Aren't these common goals?
Values are more than just words. They can tout themselves as the Family Values party all damn day, but their actions speak far louder to me than their words. They don't give a damn about MY family. They only give a damn about THEIR OWN, and people who think and act just like them.
As for Bush being better able to lead us through this war....how's that working so far? I mean really, how's that working? Because I look around and I see a MISERABLE failure. And I want to ask our President "Hey, are we tired of them "bringing it on" yet??"
Comments:
Post a Comment
